Recipe: Buttermilk Bran Muffins with Blueberries


These are the BEST muffins! I got this recipe from my friend, Beth. Thanks Beth! I've modified the recipe a little here and there. They are my family's favorite breakfast food, and I feel good about feeding it to them. A warning though...this makes a HUGE batch of muffins (around 6 dozen). Either cut the recipe in half, or freeze them. I pop them into freezer bags, and pull them out as I use them. They freeze and microwave perfectly. OK already, here's the recipe:

2 1/2 C sugar
1 C + 3T softened butter (I use Smart Balance Spread)
5 eggs (I use 1/3 cup egg substitute per egg)
1 qt buttermilk
6 C whole wheat bran (found in the natural foods section of your grocer)
2 C boiling water
5 t baking soda
2 t salt
6 C whole wheat flour

1. Combine sugar and butter
2. Add eggs and buttermilk
3. Add bran and boiling water
4. Add baking soda, salt, and flour
5. Fold in fruit, if desired. I use frozen fruit. It's important to bring the berries to room temp or higher before mixing into batter. Add only the fruit, not the juice that results from defrosting. Blueberries and raspberries are both excellent in this recipe.
6. Bake in greased muffin tins (no paper liner necessary) at 400 F for 13-15 minutes
7. Remove from pans and place on wire rack to cool.
8. Enjoy!

(Here's what the wheat bran looks like)

Misty  – (1/15/2008 03:06:00 PM)  

i will have to try this... I am not (at all) a bran fan. So, I never try bran recipes. But if your family loves it, it couldn't hurt to try.

Post a Comment




  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP